Safe Schools Summit, in a signature annual event created by Public Strategies for the Governor of Oklahoma that averaged 10,000 attendees, raised youth awareness of the importance of positive decision-making. We led a turnkey effort for eight years by:
- developing and managing state-of-the-art events
- branding each event with an annual theme
- coordinating with various state departments including education, health, mental health, public safety, police, fire and others
- creating program content and engaging speakers
- managing recruitment and registration
- designing a variety of creative items including invitations, info sheets and event graphics
The State of Oklahoma was challenged with finding youth-appropriate strategies to prevent school tragedies and to encourage drug-free and safe schools. Dollars were restricted to statewide activities.
Public Strategies utilized celebrities to encourage state schools to send delegations to a 1–2 day summit. Subject matter experts provided youth-appropriate and often entertaining content. School officials and local law enforcement earned continuing education units (CEUs) for participation.
As a result of this comprehensive plan, the Governor’s Safe Schools Summit gained:
- significant news coverage, annual participation by the Governor, and distinguished national visitors
- an eight-year run of this event, with a growing attendance each year
- more than 75,000 students directly impacted
- surveys demonstrated a shift in student attitudes about personal responsibility and good choices